What is Egg Donation?
Egg donation, also known as oocyte or egg transplantation, is a highly successful treatment method for prospective mothers who do not have the chance to conceive using their own eggs. In the process of egg donation, healthy and fertile eggs obtained from donors with abundant ovarian reserves are fertilized with sperm from the intended father or, if desired, a sperm donor, to form embryos. These developed embryos are then transferred to the uterus of the prospective mother.
With 27 years of experience in egg donation and the largest pool of healthy donors in Cyprus, we provide comprehensive services in this field.
Who is Egg Donation Applied to?
- Those who cannot achieve pregnancy using their own eggs due to reasons like Turner syndrome, gonadal dysgenesis, etc.
- Individuals carrying genetic diseases.
- Women who have a healthy uterus but have entered menopause.
- Women who have undergone surgery to remove their ovaries due to reasons such as cancer, endometriosis, infection, etc.
- Women whose eggs have been damaged or lost due to factors like chemotherapy, radiotherapy, etc.
- Women of advanced age whose egg quantity and/or quality are insufficient for pregnancy.
- Women whose ovarian capacity has declined at an early age.
- Women experiencing recurrent IVF failures.
How is Egg Donation Performed?
If you wish, you can have the initial consultation with our doctor over the phone, or you can come to Cyprus for a day to meet with our doctor.
In egg donation treatment, similar procedures to IVF are performed. Before starting the program, a general health screening, tests, and examinations are conducted for the couple. These tests aim to evaluate any potential obstacles to pregnancy or potential issues that may arise during pregnancy, thus creating the patient’s medical file.
In addition to these, a sperm test (spermogram) is requested from the male partner, and a uterine film is requested from the female partner. Based on these evaluations, both the male and female partners are prepared for the treatment.
For patients in menopause, the preparation for transfer can start whenever desired, while for patients with regular menstrual cycles, preparation for transfer begins on the 2nd or 3rd day of the menstrual cycle, depending on the suitability of the examination and blood tests. To thicken the uterine lining, the patient is given tablets. During this time, the couple’s blood types, physical characteristics, ethnic background, and any specific requests are taken into account to select the donor egg and make the necessary preparations.
The selected donor egg, combined with the male partner’s sperm, is injected and monitored in the laboratory environment until the 5th or 6th day. During this 5-day period, the patient can stay in a hotel and wait for the transfer or come for the transfer on a day trip.
On the 5th day, the best-developing embryo/embryos are transferred to the uterus of the female partner. Approximately 10-12 days after the transfer, a pregnancy test (beta HCG) is conducted to determine the pregnancy outcome.
Do Egg Donors Have Common Characteristics with the Born Baby?
One of the most frequently asked questions we receive from our patients who undergo egg donation in British Cyprus is, “Will my baby have the same characteristics as me?” Those who become pregnant through egg donation can establish a natural bond with their baby.
The baby inherits half of its genes from the father. Since the mother’s RNA is passed on to the baby, the baby’s traits, attitudes, likes and dislikes, and psychological makeup are similar to those of the birth mother.
In those who become pregnant through egg donation, the entire pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum process are experienced naturally, allowing them to go through all the hormonal changes. The maternal instinct and the bond formed with the baby are similar to those of women who conceive with their own eggs.
Why Egg Donation in British Cyprus?
- You can have a free consultation with your doctor before starting the treatment and receive information about your process.
- We have the largest health donor pool in Cyprus, consisting of diverse ethnic backgrounds. We monitor the egg performance of our donors using special software.
- At British Cyprus IVF, everything is transparent and clear. You will know the cost of your treatment before starting, with no surprises.
- Thanks to our extensive donor pool, we can quickly find the right match for you. There is no need to wait for your dreams to come true.
- You can complete the majority of your treatment in your own country; you only need to be in Cyprus for 6 days. You can also choose to have day trips for your visits.
- The identity of the donors is completely confidential, and there is no contact between you. Your information is also kept confidential and not shared with the donor.
Our Egg Donation Treatment Process in British Cyprus
Patients who apply to our hospital for egg donation can choose to stay here for their treatment or carry out their treatment remotely under our guidance. In both cases, the process is similar.
Before starting the treatment, detailed information is provided about the necessary tests and examinations. If you prefer, you can come to Cyprus for an initial consultation or contact us via phone/email. Patients who will start their treatment in their own country should undergo a gynecological examination and send us all the tests and examinations they have done.
After the tests and examinations are evaluated by our doctors, a personalized treatment program is created for you. The treatment process and medication dosages are determined by our doctors based on ultrasound results. If you are in the menopausal period, you can start your treatment at any time. If you are having regular periods, once all the tests and examinations for your treatment are completed, medication treatment for uterine preparation will start on the 2nd or 3rd day of your period, depending on the examination and blood results.
The selected donor eggs, combined with the sperm of the intended father, are monitored in the laboratory until the 5th day, and then the highest quality embryos are transferred to the intended mother.
The Embryo Transfer procedure is a painless process, and the intended mother only needs to come to our hospital for the transfer. A blood pregnancy test is performed 10-12 days after the transfer to determine the result.
For egg donation treatment, one week of stay in Cyprus is sufficient. This period starts from the day of sperm collection for the intended father and covers the time until the transfer procedure. However, as mentioned above, if desired and for those with time constraints, the intended mother can have a day trip on the transfer day, and the intended father only needs to be present at the hospital for sperm collection.
How Do We Select Our Donors for Egg Donation?
British Cyprus IVF Hospital places great importance on the principle of selecting donors based on their overall health, not just the quantity and quality of their eggs. We are aware of the sensitivity of our donation patients and understand that the donor selection process is crucial to them. Therefore, we offer services that are not commonly provided in many other IVF centers.
- We not only conduct general health screenings for our donors but also perform comprehensive genetic carrier screening tests for conditions such as karyotype abnormalities, cystic fibrosis, thalassemia, SMA, DMD, Fragile X, and more. As the only hospital in Cyprus to offer such detailed genetic screening, we prioritize the health of our donors.
- We maintain the largest and most diverse donor pool in Cyprus, consisting of individuals from different ethnic backgrounds. We utilize special software to monitor the egg performance of our donors.
- In terms of physical, mental, educational level, ethnic background, and various other characteristics, we provide a wide range of choices for selecting donors.
- Our selection process for donors involves rigorous screening based not only on medical criteria but also on socio-cultural characteristics, professions, physical appearance, and even their personal lives. We adhere to strict criteria when accepting donors.
The Most Suitable Egg Donor for You
Donor search program allows us to identify the most suitable donor for you based on various criteria, including:
- Physical characteristics (height, weight, eye color, skin color, facial features)
- Educational background (completed university/graduate studies, etc.)
- Psychological traits (active, outgoing, curious, enthusiastic, positive)
- Hobbies and interests
At British Cyprus IVF Hospital, we understand that you may have specific preferences beyond the general selection criteria mentioned above. If you have a specific request such as a particular place of birth, specific body features, or special artistic talents, we utilize our extensive network to find a donor who matches your desired criteria as quickly as possible.
What Should You Consider When Choosing a Center for Egg Donation?
We understand how strong the desire to have a baby is. It is of great importance to make the right choice of a center in order to avoid any financial or emotional disappointments when taking the first step towards your biggest dream. We have listed the points you need to question before starting your treatment:
- Question the authenticity of the data.
- Inquire about the criteria used for donor selection and their sensitivity in this regard.
- Obtain information about the technological infrastructure of the embryology laboratory and the devices they use.
- Request a detailed list of the tests performed on donors.
- Find out if the center is digitally equipped in terms of patient data, donor data, and laboratory security.
- Learn about the experience and international certifications of the embryologists, and request their certifications.
- Question the transparency of the institution regarding financial matters, and obtain prior information about any additional expenses that may arise during the treatment process.
- Request photos and videos of the center to avoid any surprises.
Egg Donation Legal Processes
Donation is a method that allows you to become the legal parents of your baby. Throughout the pregnancy, birth, and postpartum process, you will form a strong bond with your baby. However, a microscopic egg will only be a small detail compared to the lifetime you will spend with your child, creating countless beautiful memories together.
Is Egg Donation Legal?
We often encounter the question “Is egg donation legal in Cyprus?” Yes, egg donation treatments are legal in Cyprus, and there are no restrictions. Unlike many other countries where egg donation is legal, in Cyprus, donors are anonymous. This means that you cannot access the donor’s information, and similarly, the donor cannot access the couple’s information.
Egg Donation Success Rates
At British Cyprus IVF Hospital, which utilizes the latest technologies and surpasses European standards, the success rates for in vitro fertilization (IVF) with egg donation are as follows: 73.9% on the first attempt, 88% on the second attempt, and 98.6% on the third attempt, resulting in a pregnancy.
Egg Donation Prices 2023
The cost of egg donation is determined based on the specific treatment process. The prices for egg donation at British Cyprus are shaped by the medical conditions of the intended parents and the necessary tests and treatments associated with those conditions.
When inquiring about the cost of egg donation in Cyprus, it is important to ensure transparency from the clinic and clarify whether there will be any additional costs. At British Cyprus, you will know the amount you will pay for egg donation before starting the treatment.
To obtain detailed information about the price of egg donation, you can fill out our contact form or reach out to us via WhatsApp.